I don't like to let working nights get in the way of great home-cooked meals. Often times, I'll use my weekend to cook ahead on dinners that are easy to reheat. This weekend I had some inspiration to combine a few of my favorite Southern flavors into a colorful and delicious pizza. Cooking pizza at home is a lot easier than most people expect, especially if you use an already prepared dough or crust. But even making your own dough doesn't take too long. And a little trick if you don't want to heat up your oven, fire up the grill! It makes for a great smoky flavor.
1 sweet potato
2 Andouille sausages
6 broccolini or baby broccoli
1/2 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (drained)
Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Shredded Parmesan cheese
Pizza dough (homemade would be best, but to easy with preparation, I used Pillsbury's artisan refrigerated dough)
1. Preheat oven according to pizza dough directions.
2. On a baking sheet, form dough into a circle or square. If desired, roll edges over to create a crust. Pre-bake dough for 5 minutes and remove from oven.
3. In a skillet, remove sausage from casing and cook until browned. Set aside.
4. Dice sweet potatoes. In the same pan, add olive oil and sweet potatoes. Cook until caramelized. Add broccolini and toss until bright green.
5. Lightly coat dough in olive oil. Spread diced tomatoes evenly.
6. Spread a thin layer of Parmesan cheese.
7. Across the pizza, evenly distribute sausage, sweet potato, and broccolini.
8. Finish with a layer of Mozarella and Parmesan cheese.
9. Bake pizza according to dough directions, about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.