Lemon poppyseed muffins are one of my favorite treats. I found that many of the recipes I tried from cookbooks resulted in a heavier or cake-like muffin. After a bit of experimentation, I developed this recipe that I'm really happy with. The results are airy muffins with great lemon flavor.
1 1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
zest from 1 lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
1/4 cup oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs.
4. To the eggs, add milk, sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract and oil. Mix well.
5. All at once, fold egg mixture into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined, but do not overmix.
6. Scoop 1/4 of muffin dough into lined muffin tins.
7. Bake muffins for 12-14 minutes until golden on top.
Makes 15 muffins