3.5 - 4 lbs short ribs
2 small to medium size leeks
1 head garlic
1 cup pearl onions
1/3 cup beef broth
1 bottle stout beer (or porter)
1 can beef consommé
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tbsp stoneground mustard
3 tbsp brown sugar
1. Julienne leeks.
2. Dice garlic cloves.
3. In a roasting pan with olive oil, caramelize leeks, pearl onions and garlic. Remove from pan.
4. Coat short ribs in flour. Brown short ribs on all sides on high heat in the same roasting pan.
5. Reduce heat to medium-high and add onions back in.
6. Add mustards, brown sugar and thyme to pan and stir.
7. Add consommé. Cover and cook for 1/2 hour.
8. Reduce heat to medium-low. Then rotate and turn over short ribs.
9. Cover and continue cooking for 1 1/2 hours, rotating every 1/2 hour. If liquid reduces, add 1/3 cup beef broth.