Summer Fest 2010 - Corn
This summer I am excited to participate in Summer Fest 2010, a month long food & garden blogging community tribute to the harvest season. Each Wednesday participating bloggers will post recipes highlighting that week's fresh produce pick. The schedule is as follows: 7/28 cukesnzukes, 8/4 corn, 8/11 herbs, greens and beans, 8/18 stone fruit, 8/25 tomatoes.
My last post came a bit before I learned about Summer Fest, but coincidentally fit with the 7/28 theme of cukesnzukes. Today, I feature a summer salad recipe that includes this week's theme corn, as well as a variety of other fresh ingredients. Enjoy! And check back every Wednesday through 8/25 for more harvest to table recipes.
Ingredients:1 chicken breast
1 cup butter lettuce, roughly chopped
1 cup romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
1 cup savoy cabbage, roughly chopped
1 can mandarin oranges
1 ear corn
1 cup shelled edamame
1 pear, firm variety such as anjou
1 cup shredded carrot
5 oz pea shoots
1/4 cup mandarin orange juice (from can)
4 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
3 oz sparkling sake
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Prepare dressing: Combine mandarin orange juice, white balsamic, sake and olive oil. Add pepper to taste.
2. Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces and cook.
3. Defrost edamame until room temperature or quickly blanch. Set aside.
4. Grill ear of corn and remove kernels.
5. Dice avocado and pear.
6. Combine lettuce, cabbage, pea shoots, corn, carrot and edamame.
7. Let individuals add mandarin oranges, pears and avocado to their liking.
8. Top with dressing.